Saturday, January 16, 2016

Please join me for one whole minute a day

Yesterday at work our Human Resources department sent an email introducing a new fitness employee initiative, entitled "the fit minute". It is an initiative to be active for one whole minute everyday during the work day. The email included a link to a youtube video that showed examples of exercises to try for this one whole minute. So, me, being the fitness motivator that I am [insert sarcasm here] I gather up two coworkers, turn on the timer on my fit bit and begin doing squats. The minute felt like it was not ending, and then I realized I had paused my watch at 12 seconds. After probably about 25 squats or so, my legs felt sore! I became upset. What happened to me? I used to be the boot camp attending, squat, burpee etc etc. with no pain, no soreness person. I figured out what happened to this me, well, while running my second marathon I changed my exercise routine. I decided to incorporate higher mileage and sprint training this time around, because I felt that the boot camp did not improve my time for my first marathon. And, I frankly did not have the time after running 4 times a week to add an hour boot camp class plus travel to/from the class. Long story short, I dislike the fact that I was sore from 25 squats! So, yesterday marked the first day to my new challenge: pausing for a minute a day and doing squats. I would like to say that I will do 100 squats a day like I did today, but I am not sure if 100 will happen every day. So one minute is easier to think about. Check out this photo, this is me today, during my 100 squats. And, yes, I am not very low, but I WILL get better.
Who wants to join me in devoting 1 minute to fitness per day, it can be squats, jumping jacks, sit ups, or whatever your heart desires. Oh, and for me (and all you other runners) running does not count, I will still devote 1 minute on the days that I run to squats or an exercise that is not running related. Who's in? Its only one whole minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment